Tetris blanket

Mon Amigurumi

Half a year, 2000m of yarn and 100€ - that's what the Tetris blanket is made of. I just started to knit 10cm x 10cm patches from the cyan color you can see in the picture, and after a few of them done I had an idea for a Tetris-themed blanket. I immediately opted to follow the so-called official color/block combinations.

From my stash, I could find the red yarn, but everything else I had to buy. The purple one was the easiest and the green one the hardest to find... And then we get to the dark grey one. I hadn't purchased enough of this yarn and before I knew it, it got sold out in every location of the chain and I couldn't find it anywhere. After a while, however, I managed to find some in a village 30km away from the city I live in.
Every block was created by using different patterns of knit stitches. I didn't have any particular reason for that, but it does give the blanket a more "hancrafted" look.

Mon Amigurumi
Seven colors and knit stitch patterns for seven kinds of blocks

After knitting the colorful patches during summer, I had to decide on the pattern, go back to school and concentrate on my studies... As well as knitting all those dark grey patches. Luckily, I have friends who are always ready to talk about bad ways to play Tetris. In their opinion it was essential the blocks be stacked realistically. Well, I have too many straight blocks but otherwise they turned out pretty okay. :)

Mon Amigurumi
The last row is realistic (the red row)

After finishing the patches, I had to steam them straight and lay them in the right order. I could've just taken them from piles as I went but there would've been a high risk for mistakes. Steaming the 150 patches took me five days along with schoolwork and everything else.
Next I started to crochet all the pieces together, first horizontally, then vertically. Sewing the ends of the yarn to the back of the work was a huge effort. After that I crocheted the grey edge and steamed the whole patchwork flat.

Mon Amigurumi

Mon Amigurumi

Time add sew the lining! I tied the lining on the patchwork with 176 knots, then crocheted the edges of the layers together. I wanted to add the lining that the blanket wouldn't be itchy. :)

Mon Amigurumi
knot, knot, knot...

So yeah, here's the finished patchwork. It's colorful, warm and cozy and not for anyone afraid of colors. Pretty much perfect for my boyfriend's apartment. <3

Winter is coming and I'm stuck with my remote college classes like most of the world's, students. There's a lot to do, but little by little I want to get back to my craft hobby. It will take some time and I'm not even sure if it will only be amigurumis and nerdy stuff anymore, but I'm not going to be taking any pressure from it.

Mon Amigurumi

Mon Amigurumi

Comments

Popular Posts