Lohi-käärme


This derpy amigurumi got inspired by a pun which is pretty known in Finland. See, in finnish, Dragon is spelled lohikäärme. But lohi means salmon and käärme means snake. So lohikäärme = salmon-snake.
The only things I was able to find out about the etymology are from a Reddit post where they explain that the word got corrupted overtime from its original form Louhikäärme which had just meant flying snake. That's kind of disappointing if you ask me. :D

Lohikäärme was designed based on the pictures that my friend produced. It's supposed to be a colorful salmon with a long snake-like body. The head isn't as neat as I wanted it to be but that's okay. Next time I'll go and buy some thinner yarn. All of this amigurumi's yarns were from my stash and there are a lot of different materials. Cotton, wool, synthetic... It's a mess, just like all my other works.
The brown safety eyes are from Go Handmade. Now I wish that they were orange or yellow but I had the brown ones laying around and I'm too lazy to order anything online if I can avoid it. Yellow eyes would have had an awesome contrast to the head's dark grey.

So, a weird punny dragon this time. Next time, more Pokémons :)

Comments

Popular Posts